The GBA is celebrating our 10th season this year!
NOTE: Last Dec weekend we will play is Dec 14-15 and we are back on Jan 4-5. We are off for President’s Weekend only. Playoffs begin Feb 22-24 and the season ends March 7-8 if we stay on time with no weather delays.
MORE INFORMATIONMore About the Season
- Early start is for December 7-8 and/or December 14-15 – you pick.
- We are OFF for Christmas break and New Year’s.
- January 4-5 we resume after the holiday break.
- We are ON for MLK Jr Holiday.
- We are OFF for President’s Weekend – Feb 15-16.
- Playoffs begin after President’s Weekend – single elimination, winners only advance.
- Semis/Finals are Feb 22-March 8 (ideal final) with back-up end date of March 14-15.
- You can pick your weekends or work-around while registering. We do our best to give you an ideal schedule, but we cannot guarantee a perfect schedule for your team.
- You can tack on add-on games if you want more than the guaranteed games and pay per game.
- Players will have to have player ID and date of birth (copy of birth certificate) at the games. We are not going to deal with adults who are encouraging kids to cheat or lie about their age anymore during playoffs. The coaches who allow ineligible players to play will be given a team forfeit.
•Boys’ Teams and Girls’ Teams – 10&U – $1,000 – at least 8 games guaranteed plus playoffs (winners and consolation if requested) Games are on Sat only 12-4 pm window for BOYS 8-10U (two clear division for ages 8-9 and ages 9-10), GIRLS play on Sundays in the window of 12-4 pm. It’s 4-on-4 on small courts in two gyms – great for the kids. All gyms upper west side, West Harlem. We may add new gyms to grow the league – locations TBD. Specify the skill, ages, ability level of the teams upon registering.
• Boys’ Teams – 11&U-16&U – $1,200 for returners; $1,300 for new teams – at least 8 games guaranteed plus playoffs (only winners advance). Boys play 5-on-5 mostly on Sundays from 9-2 pm, but we do have 4-7 pm time slots for some Saturday games because some teams can only play on Saturday afternoons. Boys Gr 7 we try to avoid Saturday games. All gyms upper west side in most cases. See locations. Specify the skill, ages, ability level of the teams upon registering.
• Girls’ Teams – 11&U-16&U – $1,200 for returners; $1,300 for new teams – at least 8 games guaranteed plus playoffs (only winners advance). Girls play on SUNDAYS only until playoffs when we need Sat-Sun. Girls’ Gr 5-6 play mostly in the 9a-2p window and girls’ gr 7-10 play in 11a-4p window. Upper west side gyms and south Harlem at Milbank. Specify the skill, ages, ability level of the teams upon registering.
• All-Star Games – TBA – per board and financial approval.
$300 Deposit is due by Nov. 1. Full fees due by Nov. 15. Schedule to be completed by early December. Teams should be ready to play the weekend of Dec. 7-8, Dec. 14-15 on short notice. CHANGES TO THE LOCKED SCHEDULE ARE DISCOURAGED AND OFTEN IMPOSSIBLE DUE TO SEVERAL FACTORS PARENTS AND COACHES ARE NOT AWARE OF.
You’ll be able to register more than one team (grades 3-10/ages 9-16) and teams in different divisions once you’ve entered the system. You must go through the process for each team because there are often specific details per team that need to be clear.
If you require an invoice, our office can send one to you for payment information.
To pay by check: Make check payable to Mo’ Motion, Inc, 2214 Frederick Douglass Blvd, #313, NY NY 10026
Pay online now please use this link. (Note – Payments made via PayPal go through Mo’ Motion, Inc., but 100% of the funds for GBA stay with the GBA program.)
Leagues and Divisions
- AGE CUT OFF IS SEPT 1 – THIS WILL BE ENFORCED. IF YOU NEED AGE EXCEPTIONS, YOU MUST EMAIL US ASAP FOR PERMISSION. Weaker kids are allowed to play down if approved, stronger kids are allowed to play up.
Boys 8-9U, 10U, 11U, 12U, 13U, 14U and 16U (no high school varsity players allowed) – Please make sure email@example.com knows your concerns on skill level, division fit, age cutoff.
Girls 8-10U, 11U, 12U, 14U A and 14U B, and 16U (no high school varsity players allowed. On girls side with regard to varsity player status, it’s case-by-case basis, but only if the player is not getting in varsity games at school). Note that the girls grade 5-6 grade 7-8 – usually there is a clear A and clear B distinction (email firstname.lastname@example.org with your concerns).
CONCERNS ABOUT TEAM PLACEMENT & LEVEL OF PLAY
For coaches and program directors who are concerned about their team being placed in the appropriate division, please note that as a league our goal is to provide competitive games each and every week. We understand that no kid benefits from being on a team that is consistently blowing out opponents or losing by wide margins. While this makes the scheduling puzzle much more difficult, we always put extra effort into the process.
- Prior to scheduling, we review all details you provide regarding the skill level of each team you are entering.
- We wait until all teams are filled in and combine your report on your team’s level with our knowledge on all participating teams in order to create the divisions, which may be split or altered depending on the number of registrations at each level.
- Even during the season, we review each weekend’s results for lopsided games and adjust the remaining schedule accordingly.
- If necessary, we add non-division games to provide additional competition or a needed confidence boost.
It’s due to this last extra, extremely time consuming weekly review process that we ask for flexibility and patience around slight changes week to week and division make ups.
1-WE RUN THE SCHEDULE THROUGH TOURNEY MACHINE.2-PARENT-CAPTAINS or ASSISTANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO HELP WITH THE SCHEDULE.3-MAKE SURE YOU EMAIL US WITH YOUR CONFLICTS AND PREFERRED DATES/TIMES. WE WILL DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO MAKE IT WORK FOR YOU AND YOUR TEAMS, BUT WE NEED ADVANCE NOTICE. WE ALL KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING IT IS TO HAVE A CHANGE IN SCHEDULE AND HOW PARENTS AND KIDS REACT.
Please spread the word to other teams that are the right fit for our league.
Ready to Register? See our REGISTRATION page with easy online form.
The GBA is run by momotion.org, a 501(c)3 non-profit in full compliance with all NYS and IRS standards.
- 646-756-5429 office
- Gotham Basketball Association
This activity is not sponsored or endorsed by the New York City Department of Education or the City of New York.